PDA

View Full Version : MLS NY Red Bulls are close to acquiring Jean-Philippe Peguero from Colorado Rapids.

bana2166
03-29-06, 04:01 PM
Red Bulls deal Gaven to Crew
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

By IVES GALARCEP
HERALD NEWS

NEW YORK -- It took most of the off-season but the Red Bulls acquired a quality forward. Now, they may add a second forward in the same week.

After months of negotiations, the Red Bulls agreed to a deal sending beleaguered midfielder Eddie Gaven and the rights to defender Chris Leitch to the Columbus Crew for forward Edson Buddle. The team, formerly known as the MetroStars, announced the deal Tuesday.

The trade could set off a series of transactions by the Red Bulls just days before they open their soccer season against D.C. United. According to sources, the Red Bulls are close to completing a deal to acquire Haitian forward Jean Philippe Peguero from Colorado for Brazilian forward Thiago Martins and an undisclosed draft pick. Red Bulls midfielder Mark Lisi, a Denver-area native, also has been discussed in trade talks.

The Red Bulls announced that 16-year-old forward Josmer Altidore will join the team for its first two matches: its season opener at RFK Stadium on Sunday, and its home opener against New England at Giants Stadium on April 8.

"When you have [French star Youri] Djorkaeff and an Edson Buddle, it's important to add an Altidore to the mix," said Red Bulls coach Mo Johnston.

"It's important for a 16-year old to see how they conduct their business in training and in games," Johnston added. "You can never learn enough from the likes of Djorkaeff, and it's important that we have that for Altidore."

A member of the U.S. Under-17 national team residency program, Altidore impressed Red Bulls coaches in February. A 6-foot-1 forward, Altidore is considered a top prospect but may still be too raw to consider using in first-team matches.

That said, the team's shortage at forward could lead to a late-game appearance for the Newark native and 18th player selected in January's MLS draft.

The team also announced that Honduran midfielder Amado Guevara received his green card Tuesday, so the playmaker will no longer count toward the team's allotment of four senior international players.

That leaves the Red Bulls with two senior international slots to fill. Peguero would fill one while the team is expected to sign Canadian defender/midfielder Ante Jazic to fill the other slot.

Buddle, who totaled nine goals and two assists for the Crew last season, gives the Red Bulls the pure striker they have lacked since trading Ante Razov to Chivas USA earlier in the off-season.

At 6-1, Buddle is expected to provide the presence in the penalty area the club needs to fully utilize its revamped midfield.

Buddle scored 42 goals in 106 games for the Crew.

"If I showed you my notes, he was at the top of my list," Johnston said of Buddle. "I'm very excited having him in here. As a center forward and a 24-year-old man I need to get Edson Buddle on that national team. That will be my goal.

"My goal initially will be to get him to score goals on a regular basis on this team, and then he can get himself to the national team."

Buddle endured his share of struggles both on and off the field with the Crew, most notably last season when MLS suspended him after he pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In My Personal (Bana2166) Opinion - With Jean-Philippe Peguero close to joining the New York Red Bulls and Josmer Altidore been promoted to the Red Bulls Senior Squad. I hope JPPeguero convince Josmer Altidore to play for the Haitian National Team.

Right Now, Haitian-American Josmer Altidore has not play for US National Team. He's (Josmer) only play for the US U-17 National Team, that makes him still eligible to play for Haitian NT and I hope JJPeguero convince Josmer to play for the Haitian NT - I only Hope. Thanks

panoramix
03-30-06, 01:18 AM
Josmer is only 16 and could be part of the next wave of strikers along with Johnny X (Exantus). We seem to have a handfull of experienced forwards with Peguero, Noel, Eliphene Cadet and a few others, I'm not sure he would get the call to the senior squad right now.

Some of our best midfielders:

Kimberly Francois (Roulado)
Peter Germain (Baltimore)
Amius Thomson (Tempete)
Jean Junior Innocent (Violette)
Wadson Coriollan (Uruguay?)
others

Best Defenders:

Pierre Jean-Jacques (FC Nantes)
Bruny Pierre-Richard (Don-Bosco)
Stephane Guillaume (Miami FC)
David St-Cius (Violette?)
Frantz Gilles (Cavaly)

We need a good coach and we could cause trouble in the CONCACAF.

marcorell7
03-30-06, 09:18 AM
If was Pedro I will stay w/Colorado Rapids , because coming to NY Red Bulls they will bench him , the reason why is because NY already have 2 good strikers Youri Djorkaeff and Edson Buddle , and last year (2005) season for Pedro was not that great, he needs to be more consistent, agressive, hungry for the ball and team work ; don't take me wrong I am very proud of him and for all other Haitians players playing anywhere around the world. But right now so far so good.

M'enfin

Cassa Boubou
03-30-06, 11:15 AM
Haitians always had the talents needed to perform at the highest level in soccer.. What they lack is discipline and professionalism... Hopefully with this new generation breaking thru, we will find the missing pieces of the puzzle. But the fight still remain, " Will the FHF call on these guys or make an attempt to convince those guys to play for Haiti" Exantus, Altidor, Jean Pierre, Saintus( Playing in Brazil) " They all should have a spot in the National team.. Time to stop the non sense and call on the compatriot abroad to defend the national color and pride.

bana2166
03-30-06, 05:28 PM
If was Pedro I will stay w/Colorado Rapids , because coming to NY Red Bulls they will bench him , the reason why is because NY already have 2 good strikers Youri Djorkaeff and Edson Buddle , and last year (2005) season for Pedro was not that great, he needs to be more consistent, agressive, hungry for the ball and team work ; don't take me wrong I am very proud of him and for all other Haitians players playing anywhere around the world. But right now so far so good.

M'enfin

Pedro should come to NYRed Bulls because it would give the RedBulls a more profiant attack with Pedro & Buddle at the forward spot.... You could always move Djorkeaff back to his natural position - Middle.

panoramix
03-31-06, 10:25 AM
Pedro and Jeff did not start many of the games at the beginning of the season. 1st They had injuries and Luchi Gonzalez had a lot of time to prove himself and failed. Pedro gradually won his starting spot back by playing well with the reserve team and got the start. He went on to score 7 goals and 6 assists by starting in 20 out of 32 games, he's a very unselfish player and will pass the ball if a team mate has a better chance (team first). He needs to improve but I would take him ahead of Jovan Kirovski any day. The rapids just signed another Senior International, Nicolas Hernandez from Argentina and we're 2 days away from the season opener. I don't thing Pedro will be traded, (they would have done the move at the same time probably) but if he is, he'll do well in any team. I'm still waiting for Pedro's break out year, I hope this is it.

Bonhomme
04-01-06, 08:59 AM
You are right brother, but do not forget a good trainer is also very important, I can say that after watching the african cup of nations.

A good trainer I don't think we have that at the moment in Haiti.

Regards

Haitians always had the talents needed to perform at the highest level in soccer.. What they lack is discipline and professionalism... Hopefully with this new generation breaking thru, we will find the missing pieces of the puzzle. But the fight still remain, " Will the FHF call on these guys or make an attempt to convince those guys to play for Haiti" Exantus, Altidor, Jean Pierre, Saintus( Playing in Brazil) " They all should have a spot in the National team.. Time to stop the non sense and call on the compatriot abroad to defend the national color and pride.