PDA

View Full Version : Jean Philippe Peguero to the New York Red Bulls

panoramix
04-22-06, 02:42 AM
DENVER, CO (Friday, April 21, 2006)- The Colorado Rapids announced today the acquisition of Brazilian striker Thiago Martins from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for forward Jean Philippe Peguero. The trade also sends the Red Bulls? 2007 First and Third Round Natural Draft picks to Colorado.
Martins, who joined Major League Soccer in 2003, played two seasons with DC United before being acquired by Chivas USA in the 2005 MLS Expansion Draft.

The Sao Paolo, Brazil native played a total of 22 games for the Los Angeles based club, netting three goals and one assist with Chivas USA.

Peguero, who was discovered by Fernando Clavijo and recommended to the Rapids coaching staff in 2004, played a total of 26 games for Colorado last season, scoring seven goals and recording six assists.

NAME: Thiago Martins ?Forward-
HEIGHT: 6-0
WEIGHT:185
BIRTHDATE: September 04, 1976
HOMETOWN: Sao Paulo, Brazil
CITIZENSHIP: U.S. and Brazilian
LAST CLUB: New York Red Bulls (MLS)

TRANSACTION
Soccer-MLS
Colorado Rapids- Acquire forward Thiago Martins as well as 2007 First and Third Round natural draft picks from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for forward Jean Philippe Peguero.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Bulls deal Martins, picks for Peguero

By Dylan Butler / MLSnet.com Staff

RBNY press release >

The New York Red Bulls on Friday sent Thiago Martins and a pair of picks in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft to the Colorado Rapids for Haitian international forward Jean Philippe Peguero.

As part of the deal, the Rapids received the Red Bulls' first-round and third-round picks in next January's draft. The third-round pick is conditional. If Peguero plays well, it could be upgraded to a second-round selection. Peguero is sure that is going to happen.

"I feel good, I'm excited to go there," Peguero said. "I'm going to do everything I can to get this team to the final."

Peguero, 25, has an assist in two games over 168 minutes this season for the Rapids (1-1-1), who have a bye this weekend. He is expected to fly to New York Saturday morning and join the Red Bulls, who face D.C. United at 4 p.m. ET. Peguero has a green card, which means he won't count as a senior international on the Red Bulls roster. The team still has two available senior international slots.

"We are excited to add another quality striker to our club," said Red Bull New York head coach Mo Johnston in a release. "Jean Philippe is a strong, quick forward who is very good in the air. He has proven he can score goals in this league and we believe he can contribute to our team immediately."

While he isn't likely to play Saturday, having not trained with the Red Bulls yet, Peguero is expected to combine up front with Edson Buddle and allow Youri Djorkaeff to slide behind the forwards, a position the Frenchman has played for most of his career. Peguero said getting to play with Buddle and playmakers like Djorkaeff and Amado Guevara, who he shares the same agent with in Patrick McCabe, will make the Red Bulls a very dangerous attacking side.

"I've been following them and I think New York, with me and [Buddle], I think we will be a lot of trouble for other teams," he said. "I'm ready to prove myself and show everybody what type of player I am."

Peguero, who has 10 caps for the Haitian national team, scored seven goals and assisted on six others for the Rapids last season. He converted the winning penalty kick in the shootout against FC Dallas to boost the Rapids into the Western Conference final.

The 6-2, 185-pound Peguero scored the first goal for Haiti -- a penalty kick -- in the first-leg of its World Cup qualifying series against the Turks and Caicos Islands in 2004. Haiti won the two-leg series 5-0 on aggregate.

Martins, who was acquired from Chivas USA in a deal for veteran Ante Razov Jan. 30, played 11 minutes in the Red Bulls 1-1 tie with Real Salt Lake last weekend. He also played a part in all three goals, including scoring the game-winner, in the Red Bulls reserves 3-2 win over New England.

For his career, the 29-year-old Martins has tallied three goals and one assist in 27 MLS matches.

Dylan Butler is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.